Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Movie Review: Bedtime Stories

I thought that Leann would want to watch this movie with me since she is stricter about what she views. This movie is rated PG, which means very little offensive content. So I thought it was going to be an easy sell. But a week or so before it arrived from Netflix Leann announced that she'd seen a snippet of it at the doctor's office and hated it (mainly because it has Adam Sandler in it). Well, so much for that. I was surprised that Adam Sandler would ever appear in a movie that wasn't PG-13. Some of the other actors were surprises. The love-interest from The Sorceror's Apprentice reappears as a ditzy, rich socialite.[1] I was shocked to realize that the woman at the main desk of the hotel was played by Lucy Lawless (a.k.a. "Xena, Warrior Princess" and "Cylon Number Three").

My verdict: Thankfully there wasn't much crude humor from Adam Sandler. Even though my viewing standards aren't as strict as Leann's, I still don't appreciate Adam Sandler's usual variety of crass comedy. The dramatizations of the stories Skeeter (Adam Sandler's character) tells are fun, as are the real-life scenarios they precipitate. His roommate, Mickey, is pointless, but fun. Eventually everything is put in jeopardy because lies are told and the lied-tos are quick to assume the worst. It's disappointing that so many movie characters are completely unwilling to listen to an explanation after having a rout with their loved one. Hopefully that's a case where art doesn't imitate reality. The movie has some good moral lessons to share, but ends with a bad one (i.e. that happiness includes getting to torment your enemies).


Notes:

[1] See my review of that film here.

No comments:

Post a Comment