Friday, February 18, 2011

Threatening

I wrote this in my Freshman English class at Box Elder High School. I had two goals in writing it (not necessarily the goals imposed on me my the teacher, Mr. Yates): 1. to write a story that would fit on one page (i.e., "flash fiction") and 2. to write a story that was entirely dialogue.[1] This is the final result. If I recall correctly, it was published in the student publication for creative works (I forget the name), along with some of my art.

Threatening

“Sir, we don't stand a chance. We must not go back. If we do, we will be destroyed.”

“Nonsense. High Command classified Earth as a primitive planet. They haven't even developed interplanetary travel. Our advanced race should be able to defeat them without effort.”

“True, Sir, they are not very technologically developed. But all our landing parties, except one, have been destroyed. And of that one, I am the only survivor. They can defeat us.”

“What do they have that is so superior?”

“They are very united and loyal. When we kill one of them, they carry away the body, return, and attack by the hundreds and even thousands. They recognize us as a threat. And they exist almost everywhere. Their colonies, which resemble our cities, are sometimes enormous and always numerous.”

“Is that it?”

“No, Sir. They are also incredibly strong. We are no match for their musculature. And they are universally hostile and war faring, sometimes we found them fighting each other. No matter where we went, if any were there, we were viciously assaulted. They mutilated our crew members when they caught them.”

“This happened to all five landing parties?”

“Yes, Sir, except mine. I managed to bring the search craft back. On the other expeditions, the earthlings tore apart our craft and carried them back to their cities.”

“So we have no data, whatsoever, concerning them?”

“Well, Sir, we know what we've learned from their attacks, and one member of a doomed expedition managed to infiltrate one of the cities. That particular colony apparently had a queen governing it.”

“It certainly sounds like a primitive society. We should be able to defeat them with our sophisticated weaponry.”

“Sir, we could possibly capture a few dozen cities. But they are so numerous, we would run out of ammunition before we even had a chance. As fast as they reproduce, they could keep a continuous army marching on us for the rest of eternity.”

“If there are so many, you should have been able to see one. What do they look like?”

“I only know they're the same size as us, Sir. Their hideous shadows were all I saw. I shall never forget the cold advance they made on our ship.”

“It will happen, eventually, that they will master interplanetary, and then interstellar travel. They could be a threat to our empire. Since we don't know what they look like, what do they call themselves? Earthlings?”

“No, Sir. Ants.”


Notes:

[1] I find it a lot easier to narrate, as a writer. But dialogue is a lot more readable. So I often have to push myself to create realistic and engaging dialogue.

4 comments:

  1. I think it was called "The Hive."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I know the story behind the story. Alas, when I first read it years ago, the first thing I noticed on the page was the final line of the dialogue.

    ReplyDelete