Thursday, October 27, 2011

Product Review: Doritos Tapatío chips

While I was in México as an LDS missionary [1] I had, on a few occasions, a hot sauce called Valentina. When I got back to the States I spotted some at the grocer store and bought it. Even though I don't like tuna or macaroni [2], I was able to eat tuna casserole for a while by putting Valentina hot sauce on it. That eventually ceased to be the case, I stopped using the Valentina, and eventually I (or my mom) threw it out. Tapatío is pretty similar in appearance to Valentina. According to Wikipedia [3] Valentina has been produced in Guadalajara since the 1850s. Tapatío has been produced in California since the 1970s [4], but the recipe comes from natives of Guadalajara. So I suspect that Tapatío is a modified recipe of Valentina.


My verdict: I wasn't terribly impressed with these. The Tapatío hot sauce made the chips too sweet for my taste. The hot sauce gave the chips some kick, but not as much as Doritos Flamas [5] or even Doritos Salsa Verde (but more so than Doritos Spicy Nacho). It's been long enough since I had any Valentina that I can't tell you how similar the tastes are of the two hot sauces.


Notes:

[1] For those who are unsure why Latter-day Saints (Mormons) go on missions, I recommend you visit here and here, where you can learn more about LDS beliefs concerning sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ. If you have more questions, ask and maybe I'll do a full post on the topic.

[2] I like other pastas, just not macaroni. I don't like the texture—it's too thick and chewy.

[3] See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentina (sauce).

[4] See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapatío hot sauce.

[5] You can read my review of those chips here.

No comments:

Post a Comment