Thursday, December 22, 2011

Movie Review: Frosty the Snowman

Frosty the Snowman is one of those Christmas movies I grew up with, along with How the Grinch Stole Christmas [1], Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer [2], The Smurf Christmas Special [3], A Chipmunk Christmas [4], and Mickey's Christmas Carol.[5] But I believe it's been five years or more since I last watched it. This is mainly because I usually don't watch much television and it's a television special. But we recently got cable television so Leann would have something to watch [6] while she's home watching the baby.

My verdict: This movie hasn't aged well. It's definitely for children because it doesn't hold up to adult scrutiny. For example: the movie never suggests that Karen was wrong to try to accompany Frosty to the North Pole. Santa easily could've chastised her before taking her home. Another: on this kidnapping trip Frosty realizes that Karen is cold because she sneezes. I don't know anyone who sneezes when they're cold! Another: Santa sides with the kids that the evil magician, Professor Hinkle (who is strangely jaundiced), no longer has any legal claim to his hat. But he never actually threw it away—it bounced off the garbage can and then he chased after it to get it back. So, really, the kids stole it.[7] And: Santa leaves Karen on the roof. That's right. When he brings Karen 'safely home' he ditches her on the roof of her two-story house with no obvious way to get down. Way to go, Santa. For a superior snowman experience, see here.


Notes:

[1] You can see Lillian getting an early start on this tradition here.

[2] Read my review here.

[3] Read my review here.

[4] Read my review here.

[5] Read my review here.

[6] Some representatives from Comcast were nice enough to come by and take down our antenna so we couldn't even get basic channels.

[7] I've never noticed this before, but when the magician takes the hat back, an egg falls out, bounces, and lands on his head as he puts the hat back on.

Image attributions:

Melted Snowman is by David Skye, available at http://www.seemsartless.com/index.php?pic=197.

No comments:

Post a Comment