Sunday, March 22, 2020

Product Review: Beehive: Seahive Cheddar cheese

Ever since I started visiting Harmon's for their cheese selection, I've seen the offerings of a local creamery: Beehive Cheese, Co., based in Ogden, Utah.[1] Unfortunately, neither of their flagship cheeses interest me since they are rubbed with coffee grinds ("Barely Buzzed" cheddar) or black tea leaves ("TeaHive" cheddar). I abstain from both tea and coffee for religious reasons [2], so both of those cheeses were out. Besides, I've been going for 'horizontal' experience (lots of different kinds of cheese) rather than 'vertical' experience (the same cheese from different producers), so trying another cheddar was low on my priority list. But when we were getting ready to move from Utah to Wisconsin [3], I decided to take advantage of the availability of their cheeses while we were still there.


My verdict: This is just an average cheddar. It tasted fine but wasn't worth the extra expense. And I didn't detect any alteration in the flavor from the addition of honey or sea salt. This cheese wasn't disappointing, it just wasn't memorable. But now I can say I gave Beehive a chance and that I've eaten salt from the Sundance Sea.


Notes:

[1] See http://www.beehivecheese.com/.

[2] For those who are unsure why Latter-day Saints (Mormons) abstain from tea and coffee (as well as alcohol, tobacco, and illegal drugs), I recommend you visit here and here, where you can learn more about LDS beliefs concerning dietary restrictions. If you have more questions, ask and maybe I'll do a full post on the topic.

[3] See my post Move to Wisconsin. (But also note that we've since moved back to Utah.)

No comments:

Post a Comment