Thursday, December 23, 2010

Product Review: Utah Truffles Mint Truffle Bar

This is another one of those items that I walked past over and over at the grocery store until my curiosity finally got the better of me. Since it has the name 'truffle' on it, that implies that it should be better than your standard chocolate fare. Right? So I finally bought one and Leann and I tried it.


My verdict: The chocolate was nice and smooth. The only flavor I've tried is mint (but I think they have others). I like things to be minty. Really minty. So this was a disappointment for me. There's just a hint of mint in the Utah Truffles bar, and really all that does is tease me. So on the whole I didn't like Utah Truffles' mint truffle bar. But if you like spearmint ("the fake mint") or peppermint that's not too intense, then you might like these. Leann did (and she likes spearmint). And for grins and giggles, here is the chemical structure of menthol, which this candy bar didn't have enough of:


It triggers your cold-sensing nerves. That's why mint makes you feel cool, even though it doesn't actually alter your body temperature.

Image attribution:

Menthol chemical structure is by Daveryan, available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Menthol_skeletal.svg.

No comments:

Post a Comment