Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Product Review: Kettle Brand Tias! Nacho Cheddar

Since I enjoyed the salt-and-vinegar-flavored chips produced by Kettle Brand [1], when I spotted these I decided to give them a try. I was a little skeptical that a potato chip company could make good corn chips, but I could think of no reason for this other than cultural conditioning.[2]


My verdict: When you open the bag, the chips are a little stinky. They reminded me a lot of baked Doritos, but they weren't as flavorful. To add insult to injury, I spotted an announcement on the bag that these chips are made with 62% organic ingredients, which means I'm paying extra for alleged rather than actual benefits.[3]


Notes:

[1] You can read my review here.

[2] i.e. since there aren't any potato chip companies that make corn chips and vice versa, I assumed that it was undoable rather than just undone. The closest example I could think of of a company that does both is Frito–Lay. But even that's not a good example since it's Fritos that makes corn chips and Lays that makes potato chips. Besides, they're actually part of PepsiCo.

[3] The extra expense for buying "organic" over conventional essentially amounts to paying for branding and little else. To learn why "organic food" isn't all it's cracked up to be, see my posts "Organic" Food, Part I, Part II, and Part III.

No comments:

Post a Comment