Thursday, May 26, 2011

Movie Review: Tangled

I hadn't really heard much about Tangled until Leann saw it with her family when she went to Texas last Christmas. After she got back, she had no motivation to watch it again in the theater since she'd already seen it. (That and we rarely watch movies in the theater anyway, mostly because of Netflix, I think.) Thus I decided to wait until it came out on DVD before watching it. It was released on home video at the end of March [1], but I still didn't get around to seeing it. It wasn't until I bought it for my mom for Mother's Day that I took the opportunity.

My verdict: This was a very enjoyable film and expanded nicely from the original fairy tale.[2] The animation was superb and the characters were likable. My favorite was probably Maximus, the horse. The chameleon, Pascal, was also fun. I especially appreciated that Tangled deviated from the conventional "romantic comedy" plot when Flynn (the male character) is confronted with a decision that tests his principles. The songs didn't seem quite as memorable as some of Alan Menken's other soundtracks [3], but perhaps I just need to hear them a few more times. And I'll probably get the chance since we went out and bought a copy for ourselves a week later.


Notes:

[1] See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangled#Home media.

[2] You can see a comparison of the 1812 and the 1857 versions by the Brothers Grimm here.

[3] e.g. Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Hercules, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Little Mermaid, Pocahontas, and Tarzan.

No comments:

Post a Comment