Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Product Review: Miss Vickie's Sea Salt and Vinegar Chips

I've seen Miss Vickie's brand chips all the time at shops that sell sandwiches, subs [1], and/or soups. But they always have a limited selection, usually consisting of "Simple Sea Salt", "Sea Salt and Cracked Pepper", "JalapeƱo", and "Smokehouse BBQ". The funny thing is, Miss Vickie's has five flavors, but I only ever see these four.[2] What about the salt-and-vinegar-flavored chips? Why don't eateries ever carry them? (Or if most do, why am I unlucky enough to only patronize the ones that don't?) This is a mystery that I still haven't gotten to the bottom of. But that doesn't matter now. Because I found a bag of the tangy salty goodness at the grocery store. And as a bonus, the bags they sell at the grocery store are significantly [3] larger than the ones they sell in sandwich shops.

My verdict: When I bought these, Leann was still avoiding dairy for Lilli's sake, so I had to avoid looking at her pouty face while I ate these. ;o) They have a nice crunch and a good, strong flavor. They're not my favorite brand of salt and vinegar chips (that position is currently held by Thin & Crispy [4]), but they're definitely up there. Unlike most of the salt and vinegar chips I've tried, these had buttermilk in the flavor powder, which made them a little creamy. I haven't decided how I feel about that.


Notes:

[1] There are a surprising number of regional names for subs. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoagie#Other names.

[2] See http://www.fritolay.com/our-snacks/miss-vickies.html.

[3] If any statisticians bristled at my use of the word significantly here, see my post Don't Believe a Scientist (When They Try to be a Linguist).

[4] Read my review here (scroll down).

No comments:

Post a Comment