Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Product Review: Barcel Takis: Fuego and Barcel Takis: Guacamole

Even though you can usually buy them in any grocery store, I went to a Mexican tienda to buy the ingredients for the capirotada that I made a few weeks ago.[1] While I was there, I picked up a few different bags of Takis.[2] Takis are corn chips that have been rolled up to look like little tacos. I first had them while serving as a missionary in Monterrey, México [3] and I've since introduced them to family and friends.


My verdict: The Fuego Takis had a potent chili pepper flavor with a hint of lime, which gave them a slightly sour taste. They were definitely hot—I had to stop before finishing the bag because I was enchilado.[4] They were pretty good, but not as good as the original crunchy fajita flavor.

The Guacamole Takis didn't really taste like guacamole to me—I thought it tasted more like jalapeños. Thus it was no surprise to me when I read the ingredient list and learned that the first flavor ingredient in the seasoning for Takis: Guacamole was jalapeño powder. Not only that, but avocados weren't listed as an ingredient. The flavor was still okay, but I wouldn't call it guacamole by any stretch of the imagination. These also weren't as good as the crunchy fajita flavor.


Notes:

[1] The recipe is available here.

[2] You can read my review of Takis: Nitro here.

[3] For those who are unsure why Latter-day Saints (Mormons) go on missions, I recommend you visit here and here, where you can learn more about LDS beliefs concerning sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ. If you have more questions, ask and maybe I'll do a full post on the topic.

[4] The word enchilado is derived from the Spanish prefix en- "in", the Nahuatl (Aztec) word chīlli "chili pepper", and the Spanish suffix -ado which indicates the past participle (e.g. "-ated" in English). It is used to indicate someone who has eaten chili peppers until the pain overwhelms them. For naïve pepper eaters, this is usually after the first pepper.

4 comments:

  1. these chips are very hot and dilishias and ver good

    ReplyDelete
  2. takis fuego are they best chip in the whole entire universe..... just saying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Takis are my addiction and i would appreciate if someone could send me a bag. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. second time having them they are better first time i have them way too overpowering but good

    ReplyDelete