Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Product Review: Ski Queen Gjetost Cheese

I was a bit shocked when I opened up this cheese and it looked like a big block of caramel. The Norwegian word gjetost means "goat cheese". A more proper name for this cheese would be brunost or mesost (Swedish), mussmør (Norwegian), mysuostur (Icelandic) or myseost (Danish).[1] The cheese has a characteristic brown color because it is caramelized before being aged as cheese. The manufacturers recommend that you eat it in thin slices with fruit.


My verdict: Gjetost definitely tasted more like caramel than like cheese (though my first impression of it was that it tasted like Cheez Whiz). The cheese has a distinct aftertaste (from the goat milk) that is a little unpleasant.[2] I tried it with grapes and with apples. It was better with apples. But it wasn't good enough that I'll ever buy it again.


Notes:

[1] The word brunost means "brown cheese". The words  mesost, mussmør, mysuostur, and myseost mean "messy cheese" in their respective languages. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gjetost.

[2] At least for me. Leann detected the goaty flavor immediately and found it overwhelming and disgusting.

No comments:

Post a Comment