Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Product Review: Doritos Sour Cream & Onion

I've found two classes of sour-cream-and-onion flavoring for chips. I can't find exact words to describe them, but I'll try. Some chips, typified by Lay's Sour Cream and Onion potato chips, taste sharp and tangy, almost to the point of seeming rancid. I dislike this class of sour-cream-and-onion potato chips. Other chips, typified by Pringles Sour Cream and Onion potato crisps [1], are smooth and creamy. These are the sour-cream-and-onion chips that I like. Regrettably, most sour-cream-and-onion-flavored chips fall into the class I dislike, so I generally avoid them. But when Doritos brought back this flavor [2], I decided to give them a chance.

My verdict: No dice. There is an initial burst of sour-cream-and-onion flavor. But this quickly gives way to a background flavor which is strongly reminiscent of Cool Ranch Doritos. The sour-cream-and-onion flavor fell squarely into the class I don't like. I also don't like Cool Ranch Doritos, so I didn't really care for these, chips either.


Notes:

[1] I remember Pringles Sour Cream and Onion potato crisps having a lot more flavor when I was a kid compared to now. But I have no way to be sure.

[2] They also brought back, for a limited time, their Taco flavor (read my review here) and their Salsa Río flavor (read my review here).

1 comment:

  1. Please please bring back the sour cream and onion Doritos

    ReplyDelete