Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Mayan Hieroglyphs, Part VII

It's been a few years, now, since I posted anything to this blog. Looking back I can see that the time I had available for blogging decreased with each new child. We now have three children, but I've only drawn Mayan hieroglyphic names for two of them.[1], Our third child is already three, but I've always had this nagging desire to draw a Mayan name for him so that everything will be rounded out and complete.

The name Levi is from the Hebrew לֵוִי (Lēwī), which means "joined" or "attached".[2] The folk etymology in Genesis 29:34 says that Levi was so named because his mother, Leah, had by this time borne three sons for the patriarch Jacob, but Jacob preferred his other wife, her younger sister Rachel. Leah thought that bearing so many sons for Jacob might finally endear her to him (i.e., join him to her).

Levi's middle name, Daniel, is derived from the Hebrew דָּנִיֵּאל (Dāniyyēʾl).[3] It is a combination of the Hebrew terms דָּן (dan) which means "judge" and אֵל (ʾel), which is a shortened form of "Elohim". Thus Levi's middle name means "Elohim is my judge".

There are three Mayan words for "join": nup (spelled nu-pa), tzutz (which has its own hieroglyphic instead of being spelled phonetically), and yuk (spelled yu-ku).[4] I chose tzutz and used T756inv. This symbol is the head of an upside-down bat, which I thought was kind of fun. In fact, it looks like a leaf-nosed bat, if you ask me. The word tzutz also means "to end", which is appropriate since Levi is our last child.

I couldn't find the Mayan word for "judge", so I went with the closest thing I could find. The Mayan word for "choose" is pach (spelled pa-chi). However, the glyphs for pa by themselves mean "join" so I chose T602 because it looks close to T83 (li-), which I've used in everyone else's names. The Mayan word for "god" is k'uh (spelled k'u', k'uh, or k'u-hu). For the k'u syllable I chose T604 and for the hu syllable I chose T740, which looks like the upturned head of a frog or lizard.

And this is the final result:


The meaning would be "he who chooses to join himself to God"—my little boy!


Notes:

[1] You can see Lilli's here and Lincoln's here. Others can be seen at Part I, Part II, Part III, and Part IV.

[2] See https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H3878&t=KJV.

[3] See https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H1840&t=KJV. Recall that Hebrew is read right to left.

[4] The Mayan–English dictionary I'm using is available at http://www.mesoweb.com/resources/vocabulary/Vocabulary.pdf. Note that it's a .pdf.
   Remember that I'm using John Montgomery's drawings, which are available here. This link includes both a syllabary (where you can see the different syllable hieroglyphs) and a dictionary (where you can see actual words constructed using hieroglyphs).
     You can also find overlapping, but non-identical sets of Mayan hieroglyphi in this .pdf, in this .pdf, or at this website (scroll down to Step 3 and follow the links).

3 comments:

  1. Looks awesome! So good to see you blogging again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's called 'what can I do to feel productive during the Wuhan coronavirus pandemic?'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Answer: Work on the ~400 blog posts I started years ago and never posted.

    ReplyDelete