Monday, December 20, 2010

Seminary Doodles

I often doodle when I get bored. Last week I found my seminary [1] folder on the shelf in my closet and decided to clean it out. Most of it went into the recycling bin, but I kept a few things (like my report cards) for sentimental value. I also kept all but a few of the many, many doodles I drew during my four years in the seminary program. Here are some touched-up scans of my favorites that I found:


This one started out as a question mark (on the left). I'm not sure what the original font was. I turned it upside-down and transformed it into something a little more emotive (on the right).


Today's episode of Sesame Street was brought to you by the number four. But you probably already guessed that.


I'm not even going to try to explain what this is.


Ditto.


This was a little experiment in horizontal thinking and shape comparisons. I call it a flowear.


When this kid walked into my seminary classroom my junior year, I knew that I had to draw him.[2] Just kidding.


I call this one "The Mosque of the Red Death" because I drew it with those red scripture-marking pencils they give you in seminary. Actually, I drew them all in red pencil, but I converted the rest to black. If you look closely you can see that there was a Scripture Bingo card on the other side of the paper I drew this on and the scanner picked it up. I was mostly, but not completely, able to remove that using GIMP.[3]


Notes:

[1] Latter-day Saints (Mormons) of high-school age attend a seminary class Monday through Friday during the school year. In some locations it is held early in the morning, before high school starts while in others they are released from the high school during normal school hours.

[2] Actually, aside from the nose he reminds me a little of my younger brother, Nathan…

[3] If you don't know what GIMP is, see my post Raster Graphics and Vector Graphics.

No comments:

Post a Comment