Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Movie Review: Father of the Bride (1991)

Leann was a little bit astonished when I told her I'd never seen Father of the Bride. Since I enjoy watching movies more than she does, she tends to assume that I've seen all the movies she has plus some. But that isn't always the case. I can remember seeing the television commercials for Father of the Bride when it came out in 1991. But at the time I was only ten years old, so it wasn't really the type of movie I'd beg my parents to let me go see (which was the case two years later when Jurassic Park came out). And as time went on, it never really found its way into my "to-watch" list. But Leann insisted that I watch it. So I did.

My verdict: The comedy is mostly pretty good, though heavily predictable. Unfortunately there were a few off-color jokes which I thought were unnecessary. And Martin Short's invented accent wasn't consistent enough to actually sound convincing or funny. Kimberly Williams-Paisley didn't look old enough to be getting a Master's degree in anything. She looked old enough to be in a high school movie. (She was only twenty when the film premiered, but her character was supposed to be twenty-two.) I could say that I connected with Steve Martin's character because now I have a daughter of my own. But I didn't. I still thought his character was generally an idiot. Diane Keaton does a pretty good job as the mother.

Image attributions:

Photograph of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert in Their Wedding Regalia is by Roger Fenton and now exists in the public domain. It is available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Queen Victoria Albert 1854.JPG.

1 comment:

  1. You should see the 1950's version with Elizabeth Taylor as the daughter and Spencer Tracy as the dad to see if it is any better. I liked it.

    ReplyDelete