Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Find It: St. Patrick's Day

In honor of St. Patrick's Day, I'm posting some pictures of clover. This particular variety, called Bronze Dutch Clover (Trifolium repens var. atropurpureum), has more purple in the leaves than normal clovers. Apparently that mutation also makes them more likely to have leaves with supernumerary leaflets.


Can you spot any four-leaf clovers?


What about five-leaf clovers? (Click on the photos for larger versions.) I found five four-leaf clovers and one five-leaf clover in the top picture; and thirteen four-leaf clovers and two five-leaf clovers in the bottom picture.

As children we discovered that it was easier to find multi-leafed clovers in the patch growing over the septic tank than in other spots in the yard. Wonder why that was…

1 comment:

  1. I know we used to find tons in that particular patch, but later on they were gone. Impossible to find. I wish I had saved a few.

    ReplyDelete