Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Product Review: Boar's Head Smoked ButterKäse Cheese

It's kind of silly that Boar's Head labels this as ButterKäse Cheese, since Käse means "cheese" in German.[1] I found this at Orem's Sunflower Farmer's Market. I generally try to avoid them because they're purveyors of "organic" food.[2][3] However, I heard that they have some cheeses that can't be found elsewhere. That much, at least, was true since this is the first time I've ever seen Butterkäse.


My verdict: Leann said this cheese tasted like gouda.[4] I couldn't tell. The smoky flavor was so intense that that's all I could taste. In reality, it could've been any smoked yellow cheese and I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. Per the name, this cheese is is soft and buttery. It seems like it could be a good cheese, but honestly it was too smokey to tell.


Notes:

[1] Hopefully you all thought of equally egregious repetitions often caused by acronyms in English, such as PIN number (personal identification number number), UPC code (universal product code code), ATM machine (automated teller machine machine), etc. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAS syndrome.

[2] To find out why I'm dismissive about "organic" food, see this post, this post, and this post (in that order).

[3] We also have a FOAF (lame, I know) who picked up some kind of worm from produce she bought at the Orem Sunflower Farmers Market and went through a course of nasty vermicide pills to get rid of it. I already took that risk for two years in México and I don't feel like taking it again.

[4] Wikipedia says it's more akin to Provolone. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterkase.

No comments:

Post a Comment