Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Television Review: EUReKA, Season 1

EUReKA is a SyFy show about an ordinary-guy sheriff who is in charge of the town of Eureka, somewhere in Oregon. The town is populated by highly intelligent people who conduct top-secret research for the United States government.[1] Most of the characters are rather quirky and their absent-mindedness often leads to disaster. Despite the high intelligence of the majority of the characters, it is often Sheriff Carter who divines the solution to the problems that beset them.

My verdict: The episodes are generally clever, though sometimes the science seems a little fantastic. I sometimes roll my eyes that only the sheriff can come up with solutions to certain problems. There seems to be a building story-arc about a mysterious object called the Artifact, which has me intrigued. My favorite episode of this season was the third ("Before I Forget"), where someone is using a memory erasing device.


Notes:

[1] Technically it's run by Global Dynamics, a fictional company overseen by the Department of Defense.

No comments:

Post a Comment