Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Music Review: Alice in Wonderland

Back around Valentine's Day one of my uncles asked on Facebook if there was a way to rip some music off the Disney website for the new Alice in Wonderland movie.[1] He said the music playing on the website wasn't from the movie or from any of Danny Elfman's other soundtracks. I tried several different ways to isolate the music, but failed on all accounts (and my uncle doesn't even know I tried). In the process, though, I listened to the music on the webpage countless times and eventually became curious about the soundtrack for the movie. I've refrained from reviewing the soundtrack until after I watched the movie.[2]

This soundtrack definitely shows some influence by the minimalism of Philip Glass. "Alice's Theme" is simultaneously the most memorable and the most annoying track of the soundtrack. Not only does it reprise itself five times on the CD, but you'll find it reprising itself in your head long after the CD is over.[3] At times, though, it reminded me of Ennio Moriccone's music for the Dollars Trilogy. In the end this soundtrack wasn't complex enough or interesting enough for me to want to include it in my music collection.


Notes:

[1] I believe it has changed a little since then, but you can still check it out at http://adisney.go.com/disneypictures/aliceinwonderland/.

[2] Read my review of the movie here.

[3] See my post entitled "Brain Damage".

No comments:

Post a Comment