Wednesday, March 14, 2012

πku II

Last year [1], in honor of Pi Day, I wrote several πkus. One of them consisted of reciting the numbers of π and parsing the syllables per line according to π. But I only went out five lines, per the tradition of composing πku. This year I wanted to see how far I could go before I reached a line where the names of the numbers wouldn't fit with the number of allowed syllables. Most of the numbers have one syllable names. The exceptions are seven and zero. I could've fudged things and made seven a one-syllable word (sev'n) and replaced zero with oh (since that's how most of us say it), but then the poem would technically go on forever. Sev'n was never really an option, but I had a hard time making up my mind about oh. So I went with both.



π (extended version 1)
 
Three point one
four
one five nine two
six
five three five eight nine
seven nine three two three eight four six
two six
four three three eight three two [2]




π (extended version 2)
 
Three point one
four
one five nine two
six
five three five eight nine
seven nine three two three eight four six
two six
four three three eight three two
seven nine five oh
two eight eight
four one nine seven [3]



So, the answer is: neither method gets me very far—which is kind of a relief because I could've been sitting here typing out my πku for a very long time! And one more, just for fun:



What Is π ?

The ratio
of
diameter
and
circumference.



If you like unusual sudoku [4] try out this π-themed sudoku at Brainfreeze Puzzles.


Notes:

[1] See my post πku.

[2] The next line would be "seven nine five zero", which is six syllables instead of the allotted five.

[3] The next line would be "one six nine three nine nine three seven", which is nine syllables instead of the allotted eight.

[4] e.g. see my post Samurai sudoku.

No comments:

Post a Comment