Saturday, February 19, 2011

Music Review: 9

As I finished watching the movie 9 [1], I was impressed with the soundtrack just before the movie cut to the credits. The soundtrack is credited to Danny Elfman and Deborah Lurie, though it was actually Lurie who did the brunt of the work. Danny Elfman was probably involved since Tim Burton produced the film. According to Wikipedia, Lurie has done work on several other films, though she usually works as a string arranger or orchestrator rather than the primary composer.[2]

My verdict: The soundtrack to 9 was functional, just not memorable. Within the context of the film, it performed its job admirably. But it was rather uninteresting to listen to outside of the movie theater. In execution it seemed to me to be a blending of the sound of Danny Elfman's Batman music [3] and Thomas Newman's score for Finding Nemo. Being a fan of the leitmotif, I would've liked to see the different dolls have their own identifiable themes. But perhaps that was too complex to ask, given the plot. The only track that I really liked was the one that first caught my attention in the film: "Release". The last track, "Welcome Home" by Coheed and Cambria, was quite unpleasant. It really put off the feel of the rest of the soundtrack. I don't think I'll be adding Lurie to my mental list of amazing film composers.


Notes:

[1]  For my review of the movie, see here.

[2] See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deborah_Lurie.

[3] Perhaps this shouldn't come as a surprise since he composed the main theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment