Thursday, February 3, 2011

Product Review: Dofino Havarti

Havarti cheese is a creamy white cheese originally produced in Denmark in the mid-1800s.[1] I spotted some at Wal-Mart on sale and was tempted to buy it, but hesitated since I'd recently spent a fair bit of change on cheeses.[2] But then Leann told me that she wanted to have some nice bread for sandwiches that week and proceeded to toss a bag of ciabatta bread into the cart. So I went back and grabbed the Havarti cheese. I also bought some prosciutto to put on the sandwiches.[3]


My verdict: Havarti tastes like Mozzarella, though perhaps a little milder. Eating it on ciabatta bread sandwich with the prosciutto and some avocado, lettuce, tomato, Miracle Whip, and horseradish mustard was pretty good. It was also good plain. But given how similar it is to mozzarella, unless you're a cheese connoisseur and can detect the difference [4], you might as well buy the mozzarella since it's cheaper.


Notes:

[1] See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havarti.

[2] See my post Cheese Tasting.

[3] See my review of the prosciutto here.

[4] Perhaps the more aged varieties of Havarti cheese have a more distinctive flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment