Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Product Review: Bundaberg Australian Ginger Beer

I'll admit: the first thing that intrigued me about this bottle was that it was from Australia, not its contents. I spotted it at a Buy Low before going to see Rango at the dollar movies.[1] One of the undergraduates in my lab, Casey, served his mission [2] in Australia, so I asked him if it was worth trying.[3] He said it was like ginger ale, but stronger. That didn't pique my curiosity any more than it was already piqued, but it was piqued, so I bought some.


My verdict: The ginger beer tasted like a ginger ale, but stronger (just like Casey said it would). Strong enough, in fact, that the ginger put my senses a little out of whack and I thought I tasted an aftertaste of nutmeg or clove. But neither of those were in the ingredient list. I like ginger ale just fine, but the experience wasn't so different from Schweppes ginger ale that it would be worth it to buy Bundaberg, which is more expensive and comes in a smaller bottle.


Notes:

[1] You can read my review of the movie here.

[2] For those who are unsure why Latter-day Saints (Mormons) go on missions, I recommend you visit here and here, where you can learn more about LDS beliefs concerning sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ. If you have more questions, ask and maybe I'll do a full post on the topic.

[3] Not that I'd necessary believe his opinion. He claimed that Australian licorice was superior to all others because it comes in flavors like mango and green apple. I tried them and thought they were a little nasty.

Image attributions:

No comments:

Post a Comment