Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Television Review: Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Season 3.5

At our new place we don't have cable television [1], so I haven't been able to watch Star Wars: The Clone Wars on the Cartoon Network. And I didn't do very well at watching them online, so I often had to scramble to watch new episodes before they became unavailable.[2] Even given my great appreciation for the story of Star Wars and the fact that the episodes are only about 20 minutes long, I still had trouble keeping up. I just let other things occupy my time (though rarely less important things).

My verdict: The rest of season three is a little darker than I remember the rest of the episodes being. Several episodes are actually told from the point of view of some of the villains (Asajj Ventress and Savage Oppress), rather than from the point of view of the heroes. And there are several episodes where characters are murdered on-screen under circumstances that (I imagine) would be especially unsettling to children. Such "edgy" storytelling isn't appropriate, I think, for young children.[3] There are some cameos by characters from the Original Trilogy that are fun to see: Wilhuff Tarkin and Chewbacca.


Notes:

[1] See my post Out of the Old and Into the New.

[2] I'm not sure why they do this. It seems to me that they can continue to get advertising revenue from these episodes up until the point where they release the season on DVD.

[3] I admit, though, that there may be some intent behind this (i.e. a future event in the series that they're preparing the viewer for):

No comments:

Post a Comment