Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Music Review: Tender Mercies

I first became aware of Steven Sharp Nelson as the cellist in John Schmidt's YouTube video, Love Story Meets Viva la Vida.[1] I didn't really make note of him. Later, while driving around one Sunday, I was listening to a local radio station, 98.3, which plays LDS music on the Sabbath.[2] A rousing version of "Come, Come Ye Saints" came on and when it was over, I made Leann (who was in the passenger seat) write down the name of the artist.  (It was Steven Sharp Nelson.) When Christmas rolled around, I looked it up and found the CD, entitled Tender Mercies, so that I could add it to my Christmas wish list.

My verdict: The whole album was enjoyable, though "Come, Come Ye Saints" is still my favorite. In addition to some cello solos, he also plays with the China Philharmonic Orchestra as well as some renowned pianists and guitarists. This is a great album for Sunday listening.


Notes:

[1] It can be seen here.

[2] Another good source of LDS music is the Church's official radio station: http://radio.lds.org/eng/. To learn more about the LDS (Mormon) Church, I recommend you visit this website.

Image attribution:

The cello is by Feitscherg, available at http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cello_front_side.jpg.

No comments:

Post a Comment