Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Product Review: Boing! Guanábana Juice

I never heard of a soursop (guanábana in Spanish) while I was on my mission in Monterrey, México.[1] I was completely unaware of their existence until I started noticing fruit juice boxes at Mexican tiendas that were guanábana flavored. A few months ago I actually found a soursop in one of those tiendas and bought it since I was in charge of treats for lab meeting that week.[2] More recently those fruit juice boxes have started showing up at regular grocery stores. So I finally bought one and tried it.


My verdict: The soursop fruit juice was the color of lemonade, but a little thicker and smoother. Initially there isn't much flavor, but there is a strong, fruity aftertaste. The flavor is hard to describe because it seems to encompass a lot of other, more familiar flavors. I definitely was reminded of passion fruit or guava fruit (which I don't like), but there were also hints of pineapple and banana (which I do like). Overall, I thought the juice was fine, but it was unusual enough that I won't be buying it regularly. I suspect its the kind of thing that you have to have grown up with to fully appreciate.


Notes:

[1] For those who are unsure why Latter-day Saints (Mormons) go on missions, I recommend you visit here and here, where you can learn more about LDS beliefs concerning sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ. If you have more questions, ask and maybe I'll do a full post on the topic.

[2] It wasn't ripe, yet, and so was consequently inedible. This wasn't a disaster for my starving labmates, though, since I'd bought other things as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment