Thursday, January 27, 2011

Think

Plato: I think what you think should be what I think. And I think you should think for yourself.

Aristotle: I think I do think for myself.

Plato: Ah, but do you think for yourself because you do think for yourself, or do you think for yourself because I think you should and therefore you let me think for you?

Aristotle: I don't think so.

Plato: Because I think you should?

Aristotle: I think you think too much.

Plato: You think so?

Aristotle: I think, therefore I am.

Plato. No, you don’t think. I think and you’re just a coincidence.

Aristotle: You should try not to think at all. If you don’t think, but I still can think, then I think I think for myself.

Plato: No. Think, silly. If you think what I think and I think you should think for yourself, then inevitably you think what I think when you think for yourself because I think you should. No matter what you think, you think it because I think you should think it. Even if I don’t think, I still think it.

Aristotle: But then I don't think for myself because I think what you think. But you think I should think for myself. Since I don't, I don't think what you think and therefore think for myself. Which I don't think means what you think.

Plato: I think you think in circles and I think you know what I mean.

Aristotle: I think so. Let me think. You think I should think for myself. So I do, I think. But you think I think for myself because you think I should. Which means I don’t really think for myself at all—I just think I do.

Plato: I think you’ve finally got it.

Aristotle: Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. The word think suddenly looks very strange. Think. Think. Think. Who came up with that word? Think. Think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think. Thank. Thunk. ...
    I remember this one. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete