Wednesday, January 25, 2012

They Get Younger Every Year

The professor I work for is currently experiencing an existential crisis of sorts. While he takes pride in eschewing modern technological developments, such as Facebook [1] and cell phones, his thirteen-year-old daughter has made it clear that she has no intention of following in his footsteps. He has grudgingly joined Facebook so that he can police her activities there and make sure she's safe. On the other hand, he doesn't feel she's ready for a cell phone. So what do I tell my daughter? She's just barely six months old!


She insists she wants her own cell phone. My only consolation is that she doesn't want to use it to call boys, yet.


Notes:

[1] I also do not participate in Facebook. But unlike my professor, I am not a Luddite. I avoid it because I know how much time I would waste on Facebook were I to join. I do, however, have a cell phone. And the Star Wars "Main Theme", by John Williams, is my ringtone.

No comments:

Post a Comment