Thursday, November 3, 2011

Product Review: La Michoacana Arroz con Leche Popsicle

Arroz con leche is Spanish for "rice with milk". It's basically a rice pudding eaten in Latin America. There are several regional varieties [1], but I've only had the Mexican sort. I had arroz con leche a few times in Spanish classes during Junior High and High School. But the majority of my experience with the dessert was during my time as an LDS missionary in México.[2] When I went looking for mamey-flavored popsicles [3] earlier this summer, I discovered that no one was carrying them—much to my dismay. Thus I decided to give this flavor a try.


My verdict: The arroz con leche popsicle was a rather unpleasant experience. There were two unmentioned ingredients, one of which I expected (cinnamon) and one of which I didn't, but I should've (raisins). The cinnamon was so strong that it was slightly burny. That was too much for me. But the raisins were a deal-breaker. Blech. I hate raisins. What a terrible thing to put in a popsicle!


Notes:

[1] See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice pudding#North America.

[2] For those who are unsure why Latter-day Saints (Mormons) go on missions, I recommend you visit here and here, where you can learn more about LDS beliefs concerning sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ. If you have more questions, ask and maybe I'll do a full post on the topic.

[3] I finally did find some. Read my review here.

No comments:

Post a Comment