Thursday, November 3, 2011

Product Review: La Michoacana Vainilla con Membrillo Popsicle

The Spanish word membrillo stands for 'quince'. In Central and South America it is common to make a paste out of the quince and eat it as candy, which they call dulce de membrillo. As it is dried down into a paste, it takes on some of those unique flavors common to many dried fruits.[1] This popsicle has little chunks of dulce de membrillo embedded throughout.


My verdict: The vanilla ice cream itself was pretty good (as far as vanilla goes [2]). The taste of the dulce de membrillo was more familiar to me (due to my time in México [3]) than the flavor of fresh quince was.[4] I didn't really care for the dulce de membrillo, though, so overall this was just an average experience. I'll be sticking to other flavors in the future.


Notes:

[1] It doesn't happen for some fruits (e.g. dried apples, bananas, pineapple, peaches, etc.), but does for others (dried apricots, dates, plums, etc., as well as virtually all fruit leathers).

[2] Vanilla ice cream is so run-of-the-mill that it's hard to rave about it.

[3] For those who are unsure why Latter-day Saints (Mormons) go on missions, I recommend you visit here and here, where you can learn more about LDS beliefs concerning sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ. If you have more questions, ask and maybe I'll do a full post on the topic.

[4] You can read my review of fresh quince here.

No comments:

Post a Comment